Tuesday, March 1, 2011

MY FIRST 18 HOLES OF GOLF on February 26, 2011



As my husband and I prepared to tee-off at Oak Hollow Golfcourse, we noticed a couple guys stalking the tee box area and as my husband started his backswing...up pulls the cart. Well he was already committed to the swing so needless to say it wasn't the drive of the day. It appeared that this twosome was not even supposed to tee off next. As we arrived at the green of the 1st hole, this same cart zoomed around us and one of the fellows said, "Do you mind if we go ahead, we didn't want to wait for the other group since they had four to tee-off". We told them we didn't really mind and we continued to play our hole. My husband was annoyed with the lack of golf etiquette from whom we will now call "The Hackers". Me, well, I was oblivious.   I just wanted to get on the green.  Now, we are ready to move onto the 2nd tee-box about 5 minutes later and there were "The Hackers" still trying to get off the fairway and onto the green. It was going to be a long 18 holes. We were hopeful that they were only playing the front nine. My drive on the 2nd hole went straight and far. I ended up in the rough outside the green. The first opportunity to put my lesson into play. I grabbed the 'S' club and got into my open stance to take a few practice swings. Ready to go, I took a small backswing and followed through and .....it worked!!! Travis would be so proud. I got on the green in two strokes and it only took me three more putts to complete this hole!!! Geez.

Now at the 3rd hole, The Hackers were off the fairway and into the trees, then into the rough on the other side of the fairway....one was still looking for the ball while we took the opportunity have a drink of water and think about our next play. During this time, another fellow approached from behind and asked about The Hackers ahead of us. We were ready to approach the tee box, so he waited but seemed perturbed.
As my husband and I continued on, I practiced my chipping and putting as instructed and I was getting some great chipping shots from all kinds of places that before the lesson, I would not have had a clue what to do. My confidence was growing. My husband was surprised at some of the shots I was making. Here comes the single guy again; seemingly impatient. We asked if he wanted to play ahead. We will call him "The Driver" . So The Driver played ahead and I guess he played ahead of The Hackers too.  Funny thing, I think they didn't even notice as he surpassed them while they were still searching for the latest hack in the trees.

The first nine holes went well. I did however loose balls in the drink not once, but twice. The first ball was lost over my favorite tee over the duck pond. This was becoming an endearing moment of sacrifice. The second rolled in the pond after rolling down an embankment....Dang I need to buy some more balls.  I made up for it twice with my 7 iron on two separate shots.  Both times making a straight drive right through a couple trees putting me on the rough of the green. After we completed nine holes, we took a quick bathroom break at the clubhouse, all the while hoping The Hackers would get a couple holes ahead, and yes, they were playing 18 holes.

During the back nine, we would meet a few new friends. The first young man was playing while his father observed and drove the cart. This young man had quite the swing. We learned he was only 12 years old. He had been playing since age 6 and it showed. This young man teed off from the white zone and drove the ball equally as far as my husband. He was only a single.  We let him play ahead, so we were only able to observe him a couple times. Then there was another team that caught up to us while we waited again for The Hackers to complete a long par 5. This was a father daughter team. The daughter age 15 was getting acquainted with the course as she was playing a tournament the coming week and father was playing along for fun. They joined us on the last couple holes for fun. We enjoyed playing with them.

I was getting fatigued coming around to the 15th hole. I hit the ground a couple times while trying to drive. Got a little frustrated. Though, I had a few really good shots on the fairways that were redeemable. My last great shot was on the 18th hole. I had a decent drive from the tee box, but even better, I had a fabulous drive from the fairway with my 3 wood. It laid up about 25 yards from the green. I decided to use my 'P' pitching wedge and chipped it onto the green. My next putt went in!!! I did not turn my head and Travis was not even holding my visor. It was a nice shot and everyone stood amazed for a moment of silence and then all said almost in unison, "that putt was for par." I was the only one in the group that parred the 18th hole. It was a good day.

I learned many things while observing other players on the golfcourse today. I learned that golf is for everyone: it is sizeless, ageless, genderless and knows no boundaries; especially aquatic. You never want to play behind The Hackers or in front of The Driver. Fathers enjoy the game of golf with their children even if it is from the cart. If a 15 year old girl can play in a tournament....SO CAN I.      FORE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment